Conceived by young adults in the Columbia YACs, the 1st Annual South Carolina YAClympics were announced today! All regions are invited to develop teams to bring to the event that takes place on Saturday, May 16 from 10:30-5:45pm with an option to stay overnight. REGISTER NOW.
Events will be physical and nonphysical! Everyone will find a way to compete with their region. YAClympics 2015 games will consist of traditional backyard games, a relay (which will involve a ½ mile run/walk and a canoe portion), and trivia. Each region can determine participation based on interests and strengths, and there may be multiple teams per event from each region.
- Round 1: Journey Through the Desert (Teams of 10)
- Round 2: Peter & Paul: The Ultimate Disciple Throwdown (Teams of 4-8)
- Round 3: John the Baptist’s Sackcloth (Teams of 2) Chariots of Fire (Teams of 2)
- Round 4: Solomon’s Challenge (Teams of 4-6)
- Round 5: Casting of the Stones (Teams of 2) Slinging Serpents (Teams of 2)
Come dressed for a field day – tennis shoes and active clothing encouraged – and be sure to bring sunscreen, bug spray, water, and a joyful attitude! A trophy will be awarded to the team that wins! This trophy will travel with the winning team to be displayed with the respective young adult group until the 2016 event!
The event is currently in the planning stages, but here is the tentative schedule:
SATURDAY MAY 16, 2015
– 10:30am-11am – Sign-in
– 11am – Games will promptly begin
– 11am – 2pm – YAClympics Games – Morning Session
– 2pm – 3:30pm – Cookout and fellowship
– 3:30pm – 5pm – YAClympics Games – Afternoon Session
– 5pm – Awards and Closing Ceremony
– 5:45pm – Groups head for a pizza dinner (optional)
**For those who do not want to depart on May 16, there will be an option of being hosted in Columbia followed by Mass and brunch as a group on Sunday **
SUNDAY MAY 17, 2015 (optional)
– 9am – Mass at St. Thomas More Catholic Chapel
– 10:15am – Brunch
– 1pm – Friendly football game or other activities in Columbia
Columbia has posted the main event FB event here. Greenville is developing a team via their FB event here. All regions are encouraged to build teams and start training – mentally and physically! Everyone must register!